Sunday, September 11, 2005

Let's Talk Toilets

I haven't yet encountered the public toilet facilities that most westerners characterize as crude and very difficult to deal with, but I'm sure that's because I haven't yet strayed far outside the protective "bubble" of nearby Western-style malls, restaurants and office buildings. The mall within walking distance of our apartment, for example, has public bathrooms very similar to those one would find in the West. I'm sure we eventually will have some squalid "squatting" incident to share on this blog---well, on second thought, probably not---but for the time being, it's worth noting, especially for friends and family who might come for a visit, that even the most Western-style toilets are just a bit different than what we're used to.

The typical Western-style toilet here sports a rather intimidating-looking hose that's about four feet long - - see the photo.

Every toilet in our apartment has one, and it clips to a holder mounted on the wall when not in use. Having puzzled over this for some time, I finally consulted the internet. I’ve now read articles describing this device variously as a “water jet,” “water gun,” or “power washer,” and pointing out the intended use in place of toilet paper. One entry confidently proclaims, “After a few practice runs
[poor choice of words], you'll probably wonder why American bathrooms don't offer this more civilized feature.” Maybe, but personally, I’m inclined to wait until I find myself somewhere where toilet paper isn’t available as an alternative. And for adventurous friends/family who visit us, let me just provide a gentle warning. While the water pressure is adjustable to suit your preference, the force of the water coming out of the hose at its present setting seems capable of stripping the paint off your sun deck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,
This was a good idea. I enjoyed reading about the power washer in your toilett. Frankly, I will stick to paper. Jerry

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home